Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission. Please read my earnings disclaimer.
As a mom to a child with type 1 diabetes, one of my goals is to have my daughter eat the “regular” and typical foods that she would eat, even if she did NOT have her diabetes diagnosis.
My goal as a mom is for her to be a kid/human first, and then I’ll deal with her diabetes later. Some parents will not agree with that, but this is what works for MY family.
So here I was on my search for the yummiest low carb pancake mix that would not spike her sugars to the extreme.
What is the Best Keto Pancake Mix For Diabetics?
As I stated above, for us at the moment the: Birch Benders Keto Pancake and Waffle Mix, and the Birch Benders Paleo Pancake and Waffle Mix have been working wonders for us. We barely see any sugar spikes with these diabetes-friendly pancakes and waffle mix. If there are spikes, this is due more because of the pancake syrup that we are using, and not the pancake mix.
Ingredients on the Birch Benders Keto Pancake Mix
Almond flour, Eggs, Tigernut Flour, Organic Coconut Flour, Cassava Starch, Buttermilk, Leavening (Monocalcium Phosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Salt, Spice
Mama, please note that this mix has: Eggs, Milk, Tree Nuts. If your child is allergic to one of these ingredients, find another alternative.
Can You Add Milk to Birch Benders Pancake Mix?
We do! We use either the Fairlife Milk or Almond Unsweetened Milk, this is if I want a creamier mix.
If I use water, then the mix will be a little lumpier, and crumbly vs the milk.
Simple Instructions To Make Berch Benders Keto Pancake Recipe
Now, I just want you to be aware that I am NOT the best cook or chef! I leave that job solely to my husband.
I basically followed the instructions on the back of the bag, but I put my own touch to make it take yummier for my daughter.
Here is how we do a diabetic-friendly pancake recipe that your child can enjoy
- Place the entire bag, into a container and add cinnamon to your liking.
- 1 bag of the Birch Benders Keto Pancake and Waffle Mix, , will make about 8-9 pancakes approximately.
- 1 3/4 – 2 cups of water. (Normally I would use Fairlike milk, for this recipe I used water).
- Add a liberal amount of your favorite oil spray.
- For more consistent pancakes, use a 1/4 measuring cup.
- Place the measured pancake mix it on a medium heat skillet with a bit of Land O’Lakes butter.
- After a few mins (3mins approx), until they are a bit golden brown, (I LOVE crusted edges), and flip.
Now for the Sugar-Free Syrup. We have been using this one from Maple Grove Farms, Syrup, Sugar-Free. It’s one of the better-tasting ones that I have tried. If you have an aversion to Aspartame, you may not like it.
Here is the end result of the yummy pancakes. Honestly for being a diabetic-friendly recipe, it takes yum!
Other Low Carb Recipes Ingredients to Use
- Fairlife Chocolate Milk to give it a more chocolaty taste
- Use whipped cream instead of syrup
- Peanut butter instead of regular butter for extra protein and fat
- Add some eggs into the mix for additional protein (we have done this, and Amanda does not even notice there are eggs in the mix)
- You can also have great and similar results with Kodiak Cakes Protein Pancake Power Cakes
- Add Lily’s Milk Chocolate Chips to the pancake mix while it’s cooking on the pan
Insulin Timeline After Birch Benders Pancakes
First off, I did a 22-minute pre-bolus.
My daughter on this day woke up high, her blood sugar was 173 mg/dL, so based on her pump settings, I gave her a correction of 0.29U
- 9 am – 0.29U correction for 173 mg/dL
- 9:22 am – 1.75U bolus for pancakes and syrup
- 9:43 am – 0.55U bolus correction to prevent a spike
- 12:24 pm – 0.2U bolus correction to prevent a spike
Below is Amanda’s Dexcom G6 in a 6-hour graphic on how her sugars fluctuated.
- Her low is 100 mg/dL, and her high is 180 mg/dL.
- She did not go over 180 mg/dL, she bordered it, but did not go over.
I did not use a basal increase when Amanda had her pancakes, because we have been upgraded to Tandem’s Control IQ, and I cannot do temp basal rate while this is active.
But if you feel that a temp basal increase is needed, I usually do a temp basal increase of 100-200% for 2-4 hrs, depending on how carb-heavy the meal was.
Also, another trick with heavy carb meals is to wait until the CGM line is going down before having your child eat.
For us, I wait until she is stable, and 20-30mins after her pre-bolus.
Figuring Out Insulin Doses
The best advice that I can give you in this case is trial and error. You will not know how your child will react to certain types of foods, until you actually test it.
If you are trying this out for the first time, I highly suggest that you keep track of your child’s glucose levels.
- Do not overly restrict your child from enjoying yummy foods, like pancakes!
- Pre-bolus 25-30mins before giving the pancakes
- Have some Sugar-Free syrups
- Make pancakes fun and yummier with other diabetic-friendly ingredients
- Track your child’s glucose levels with my friendly diabetes logbook
- Watch your child enjoy his/her pancakes!
Share it in the comments!
What is your Favorite Low Carb Pancake Mix or Recipe?
Berch Benders Keto Pancake Recipe
- 1 bag Birch Benders Keto Pancake and Waffle Mix
- 2 cups Milk I use Fairlife Milk or
- Cooking Spray
- Sugar-Free Syrup
- Place the entire Birch Benders Keto Pancake and Waffle Mix bag, into a container and add cinnamon to your liking
- Add 2 cups of water or milk
- Mix the two ingredients together until there is no dry mix seen. Let it rest for 2 minutes
- Heat up the skillet where you are going to be cooking the pancakes to Medium Heat
- Add a liberal amount of cooking spray to the skillet
- Add butter to the skillet
- Measure your pancake mix with the 1/4 measuring cup, and place it on the skillet
- Wait until there are a few bubbles. Check that the side that is cooking is brown, and then turn the pancake over, and cook
- After cooking all your pancakes, place them on your plate with your Sugar-Free Syrup and ENJOY!